Mark Sanchez was replaced, Greg McElroy threw a touchdown pass and the New York Jets won an ugly 7-6 gam over the Arizona Cardinals. It was an eventful day at MetLife Stadium, and it was facilitated by perhaps the most intriguing Jets player, Tim Tebow, being inactive for the contest.
The New York Jets offense was dreadful for the entire first half, as well as the portion of the third quarter that Mark Sanchez played. Rex Ryan finally pulled the plug on Mark Sanchez, and with Tim Tebow inactive he turned to Greg McElroy. The stadium cheered when Greg McElroy began to warm up on the sidelines and completely erupted when he entered the game. Greg McElroy engineered the best drive of the game for either side, finishing it off with a one yard touchdown pass on the first play of the fourth quarter to give the Jets a 7-3 lead. The Jets ended up holding on, 7-6, and escaping with a win.
Some will say that Greg McElroy actually did very little in terms of actually making plays, and that's true, but he also didn't hurt the team, which Mark Sanchez did with his three interceptions. Two other Sanchez throws could have easily been intercepted, one a potential pick-six.
Greg McElroy played safe, smart football and put up a scoring drive. His entry into the game not only charged up the fans, but also seemed to energize the team. The Jets also put together a physical drive that ended the game under Greg McElroy's direction, with Shonn Greene laying down at the one yard line with under two minutes remaining. Greg McElroy kneeled twice to seal the win.
Greg McElroy finished the game 5-7 for 19 yards and a touchdown. That was enough for the Jets defense, which dominated the Arizona offense all day. Is it enough for him to be next week's starter?
- Check out the latest episode of The Jets Zone!
- Be sure to follow Jets 101 on Twitter and like Jets 101 on Facebook. Plus, check out Jets 101 on Google+
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- New York Jets Versus Arizona Cardinals Week 13 Injury Report; Inactives
- Mark Sanchez, New York Jets Offense Absolutely Brutal in 28-7 Loss to Seattle Seahawks
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/nfq