The New York Jets are making big moves today, hiring John Idzik as general manager and now hiring Marty Mornhinweg as their new offensive coordinator. Marry Mornhinweg was the offensive coordinator for Andy Reid last season with the Philadelphia Eagles. This will probably kick up some Mike Vick talk in regards to the Jets quarterback situation, but we can probably hold off on that for now as there's enough to talk about today with these two new hires.
Most people probably remember Marty Mornhinweg from his days at the head coach of the Detroit Lions, which is probably not how Mart Mornhinweg wants to be remembered. Marty Mornhinweg compiled a 5-27 record over two seasons as head coach of the Lions and became famous for choosing to take the wind after an overtime coin toss against the Chicago Bears. Relinquishing the opportunity to take the ball in the sudden death overtime period, the Lions lost when the Bears kicked a field goal to win the game on the first possession.
Hey, we all make mistakes, right?
Beyond that, Marty Mornhinweg has made a lot of stops over the course of his coaching career at the NCAA and NFL levels. He joined the Philadelphia Eagles in 2003 under Andy Reid, assuming duties as offensive coordinator in 2006. He was also the offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers from 1997-2000 before being hired by the Lions.
It will be interesting to see how he plans to fix the Jets on offense in conjunction with new general manager John Idzik as well as Rex Ryan. Marty Mornhinweg is known for his West Coast style passing attack, so some have already commented, "So much for Ground and Pound." Well, yeah, Rex Ryan already said he isn't married to that style of offense. Rex Ryan wants an offense that is going to be malleable and able to attack all parts of the field. To get that done, he has chosen Marty Mornhinweg to run the show.
Adam Caplan has the first report of the hire:
- Check out the latest episode of The Jets Zone!
- Be sure to follow Jets 101 on Twitter and like Jets 101 on Facebook. Plus, check out Jets 101 on Google+
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Cam Cameron, Pat Shurmur, Hue Jackson and Pep Hamilton: New York Jets Offensive Coordinator Candidates
- Bob Sutton Hired by Kansas City Chiefs as Defensive Coordinator
- Mike Pettine Hired by Buffalo Bills to Be Defensive Coordinator
- Mike Pettine: New York Jets Grant Buffalo Bills Permission to Interview Defensive Coordinator
- New York Jets to Promote Dennis Thurman to Defensive Coordinator
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/oz3