The New York Jets are not interested in former Oakland Raiders quarterback Jamarcus Russell. There was a report that the Jets had some very preliminary internal discussion about Jamarcus Russell, but apparently the team has come to the conclusion that they are not interested in the 300-plus-pound quarterback at this time. Which is a good thing, when there are quarterback options out there that will fit much better with the Jets, such as Alex Smith, Matt Moore or Jason Campbell.
Jamarcus Russell will not be under center for the New York Jets next season. that's welcome news to any Jets fans who went into a panic after the report that the team had discussed the possibility of pursuing the free agent quarterback, who burned out with the Oakland Raiders after being the first overall selection in the 2007 NFL Draft.
There are tons of reasons that can be looked to as far as why the Jets have crossed Jamarcus Russell off the list. Perhaps it was his unimpressive numbers with the Raiders his first time around, or maybe the fact that despite the raiders obviously doing everything in their power to help him succeed, he was out of the NFL just three seasons after being drafted first overall.
Or maybe it's because since his last snap in the NFL four years have passed and Jamarcus Russell has added 60 pounds to his frame. It's hard enough for an accomplished player to take one year off and return to action like Plaxico Burress, Randy Moss and Mike Vick, but four years off is another matter entirely. Especially when the player wasn't very successful to begin with.
Let another team take a shot on Jamarcus Russell. He's a long-term reclamation project at best, and one without much chance of paying off.
- Check out the latest episode of The Jets Zone!
- Be sure to follow Jets 101 on Twitter and like Jets 101 on Facebook. Plus, check out Jets 101 on Google+
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to the One Team for the Lights charity initiative.
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Jamarcus Russell: New York Jets Quarterback Options
- Alex Smith Release: New York Jets Quarterback Options
- New York Jets’ Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez End up on Sports Illustrated Most Overrated Players List
- New York Jets Quarterback Circus: Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy, Mike Vick?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/pf6